Thursday, July 12, 2007

Welcome to my Party for Ya

This song has been in my head all morning, as last night Kellie, Taylor and I went to see the fabulous Rusted Root! I have seen Rusted Root several times before and they never disappoint...always a fun show! Last night was good, but not the best one I've been too. This was due in large part to the fact that the amazingly talented Jenn Wertz was missing, apparently out on maternity leave. Her voice is a big part of their harmonies and sound, so it was sad not to have her. Added to the sound issue is the fact that they played the Marquee Theater, where sound sucks! It took several songs for the sound guy to get the balance right. We had a great view of the stage, standing just a couple rows back and it's always fun to get a good look at the musicians and how they are playing. For those of you who don't know Rusted Root, I highly recommend checking them out for fun percussion laden music with great lyrics and harmonies.

And now for my PSA....I'm all for having fun at concerts, but please even at a Rock concert some etiquette must apply. I totally expect dancing and drinking...at Rusted Root I'm so okay with the scent of patchoulli and pot, with the hippie (or neuvo hippie) crowd, I expect some crazy, flowy arm dancing....but, honestly some people really know how to ruin an experience! Let's just say, if your going to dance and flail about, mind your long blonde ponytail and that your friendly concert going neighbor, who is having her own great music experience, does not want to feel you up every thirty seconds. If someone moves over a bit to give you more room to um, do the robot at Rusted Root (so not appropriate), don't take that as an invitation to move yourself right back into her personal space...and by personal space were talking less than an inch away from her body. If you came to the concert to spend the show talking about your life and all the drama in it, please don't head to the front and proceed to ignore the show and those around you who really are interested in hearing the music! And last, but not least, if you spill half of your beer all over someone and are not aware of it, it's time to cut you off....but if you than proceed to stomp on her foot, not once, but twice, while you are attempting to use her as the gateway out of the crowd to get more beer, don't expect her to be nice when you say "oh, did I just step on you?" as an apology....
ok, sorry for the rant...by and large the crowd was great, the true Rusted Root fan is actually quite tame and mellow (remember the patchoulli...), these girls were not the norm but did manage to ruin a few songs for me and provide us with lots of joke material. I did in fact have a good time!

2 comments:

Silvitanova July 15, 2007 at 1:06 PM  

I love concerts, but sometimes the crowd around you is just grrrrr#%.
Last year, at a Madonna concert, I was trapped between a crowd of very musculair gay man (from Brasil). After a few songs, and a few painfull punches, I've asked one to be more carefull. Afther that the've been very sweet to me and my girlfriend. ..Oh, yes,.. never go to a Justin Timberlake concert without earplugs against yelling girls.

Anonymous December 28, 2007 at 7:55 AM  

hi, she was not out on maternity leave. her and john buynak (he played guitar and perc - is best known for the penny flute part in send me on my way) are no longer in the band.

peace!

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP