Monday, August 27, 2007

Knitting & Messes


What on earth is this mess, you ask? This is what happens when you have been winding balls of yarn for too long and its late and you are really tired, but want to finish! I couldn't find an end to this skein of yarn so in my effort to find it, I lost the shape of the skein....disaster ensues! At least its my last of 8 skeins to wind into balls.

I've actually been in a knitty mood lately. In the past ten days or so, I have knitted one and half scarfs, which is nice mindless knitting that I can do in front of the TV or while on the phone. I also started prepping for the intimidating blanket project. I typed out the pattern line by line and its 5 pages long...yes 5 pages. Last night I decided to wind balls...why I'm not sure....there are 8 different yarns for this blanket...took me forever....now I just need to get the courage to start the darn thing. Why am I scared of a blanket, you ask? Basically, I am a fairly new knitter with only scarfs and lots of practice squares under my belt. I wanted to make a blanket and the girl at my knitting store suggested this blanket kit, so as not to be bored with knitting 125 stitches and several dozen rows of the same yarn, same stitch.....so I brought home an expensive bag of 8 yarns and a semi complicated pattern and there it has sat since early June! To be fair, knitting mohair and wool when its 110 degrees outside just doesn't seem right on most days. Plus, I don't want to ruin this expensive yarn, so I've been practicing on cheap yarn first. So someday, maybe a year from now, I hope to have this fabulous scalloped blanket.

In other news, Shawn called me yesterday evening around 5:00 and said he'd be leaving Tucson in about an hour, they got a little delayed in working on his car. Than he calls me around 7:30 and says, "I'm still in Tucson and my transmission just died in the driveway!" Lovely! This means he won't be home for a couple days probably. He's taking the car to the shop today...we'll see what they say. This is why I wasn't to thrilled with the purchase of a project car. He says I should consider it a mini vacation from him and his messes....problem is he left his messes behind because he was in such a rush to get the car ready for this trip.....hopefully the car gets repaired without much problem and he's home by tomorrow, just in time for his night to make dinner!

4 comments:

april August 27, 2007 at 9:11 AM  

too funny Erin! good luck with the yarn mishap!

Nicole August 27, 2007 at 1:17 PM  

knitting scarves as an easy project??!! hardly!! i give peeps like you credit that can knit...i'm amazed by it. =)

Barb August 27, 2007 at 6:36 PM  

Good luck with the knitting! I didn't know you were a knitter.

Princess Jessie Pants August 28, 2007 at 6:57 PM  

I love the yarn shot. Winding balls of yarn is not my favorite pass time, but a must for big projects like you are about to tackle. Maybe you will finish your blanket when I finish my sweater... :)

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP